Friday, August 7, 2026

POWERPUFF GIRLS - A peek inside the original style guide

I have binders and binders of model sheets and style guides that I need for my work. My total number of binders for Scooby-Doo is around 6 or 7 of them. I started with just one and it slowly grew over the early years. I would make a separate binder for the movie-related projects I did like Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders and Chill Out, Scooby-Doo!

These pages below are a peek of the original Powerpuff Girls style guide that I have and the style guide itself is what they give to companies to use when creating new consumer products. It's mostly for designers who may not have art skills to actually draw the stuff and they can use the artwork provided in the guide to do their work. There is a CD disc that comes with this and contains all the art including characters, icon, logos, design elements, etc.

This is from 2000 (or so) and they physically mailed me beautifully printed copies to use as reference. I took the sheets and slipped them in plastic sleeves to protect them and put then put them in a binder. Normally, I will keep licenses separate, or in this case, combine them into one big binder so that all the Cartoon Network stuff is together as I worked on many. Nowadays, they do digital downloads, but back in the day, they would mail you printouts and/or give you a copy of the CD with everything on it. I don't have the disc for the Powerpuff Girls though.

When I first was contacted about doing the Powerpuff Girls (in early 2000) I didn't know what it was. At the time I didn't have Cartoon Network on my cable service so they kindly sent me all this and a VHS videotape with a lot of episodes on them to watch so I could get the feel of it. The first two pages of my guide also has show information and an episode guide. Warner Bros always gave you plenty to make sure you were in the loop.

You will normally also get the model sheets, construction sheets, turnarounds, etc as well. Sometimes not. There are times when I've just received the final style guide as that is what they want you to match in terms of look and color. Things can change or evolve if you just worked with just the animation model sheets, and a style guide basically locks everything down.  

The next two pages show the step-by-step tutorial for drawing them in Adobe Illustrator. More on this tomorrow.


This page is the turnaround for Blossom and some action poses that designers can use for products.


The most important information that I needed, and why they sent me this, was to use the exact colors when doing the final artwork. Every license has a specific palette of colors, and Warner Brothers (Cartoon Network) has always had the best print accurate colors. I'm looking at you, Disney...





There was more to this guide and the next pages were of the bad guys and their color schemes, but I wanted to just give you a peek!

What's next? I will post the How-To here and my results from doing the provided sketch of Bubbles using their step-by-step!  

 

No comments: