This I thought I would add as a little extra to this post. I had to create a soda can for the lunch room tables in the high school cafeteria backgrounds. I also created brown paper lunch bags, chairs, lunch trays, etc to make the lunch room seemed "lived in". I was and am quite proud of my little soda can. I had this done in about 15 minutes or so and then just copied and pasted a bunch to add throughout the scene. This is fairly big though as they were maybe a 1/4-inch to a 1/2-inch in the final piece. But again, it's a prop that is built and I could reuse again.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
Friday, January 6, 2012
And I'll be working on Tom and Jerry's DVD cover this weekend as well, which is a round 3, since I now have the new title logo to work with and new art direction.
Monday, January 2, 2012
So now I'm doing the DVD cover art for Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated - Season 2! So I'll be doing the first round of concept sketches this week! The second season doesn't start airing episodes till May this year, but they are starting early to get this work done and in the can so I'm guessing this will come out next fall. So I'm excited. So excited, I forgot to email Disney that the P 'n F work was done! Ha! So we start yet another year drawing Scooby and the Gang! If my math is correct, I guess this is my 12th year straight now!
Also, as an aside, DC Comics is using one of my Scooby comic covers for the first Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? trade paperback collection coming out this winter! It collects comic issues 1-6! I'll post it when it comes out. I did one story as well that should be in it.
I've had the joy of being in Phineas and Ferb's backyard for most of it all and the work has been so constant that I've had to turn down some work since I can't draw three big P 'n F jobs at once. I can usually make it work but some deadlines were the same exact date and hence there would be an issue, so I'm back to trying to figure out how to clone myself.
As I say, most of the fall was spent with Phineas and Ferb, creating inators, and Agent P battling Doof in his lab, but I did do other cool side jobs as well!
1) A Scooby-Doo DVD cover for a repackaged collection coming out in 2012. I'll let you know when it's close to release and what it's called.
2) The new Tom & Jerry movie DVD cover (which we are in the 3rd round of sketches and waiting on them to decide what the actual title of the film will be since the design will be affected by the size and look of any title logo.) This one is Tom & Jerry meet Robin Hood (working off the classic 1938 'Flynn' Style) and is following on the heels of Tom & Jerry and The Wizard of Oz which is in stores now. The Wizard of Oz one is really well done and a lot of fun mixing the two IPs together.
3) Madagascar 3 licensing work, which is still being drawn, redrawn, re-redrawn and then finalized and should be done by February sometime.
4) A housing development sketch for Odyssey Design. Got photos of a building development being rebuild and refurbished and had to do artistic color art for a sales brochure that will show off what the property will look like when it's done. It's a mess still right now so you do art that will help sell it based upon the final look.
5) Odds and Ends - Did some original sketches, commissions, and other small job commercial work here and there and sold all the original Scooby art for the Mystery Incorporated book I did this time last year! (Thanks, Jim!)
As I say it's been hectic but all the work has been done on time and on schedule. From November into December I was working on P 'n F and had to get two jobs done by the 12th and then the 19th of the month. I did and thought I'd have off till January but then got another P 'n F job offer on the 20th that would have had me working through and on Christmas for a due date of the 28th. I've worked the last two Christmases so I turned it down only to get an email 30 minutes later with three small P 'n F jobs due on January 2nd! So I took them! Hahaha! Hard to turn down work, but these were rather simple and didn't add any stress to the holiday season. But I tell you all that to show how busy it has been. Luckily I did mostly all my Christmas shopping and had it wrapped the night before Halloween. I know you are laughing at that but I do shop early and get it done while I have disposible cash and that way I have no holiday debt ever to pay off during the winter.
Let's see, what else, I've had no social life and my birthday in late November was rather low key this year with a nice meal. But I'm hoping to change all that this year as 2012 has now begun... with another cool job! Read the next post for more!
As a New Year's resolution, I will be posting reguarly, though some stuff I can't post till they get closer to coming out, but I will be posting new art and sketches.