Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Night With The King Of Rock And Roll!


As I was gathering images off one of my external hard drives to put on my new website, I came across this pic of Elvis that I digitally repainted over back in 2003. I wanted to test my Photoshop skills and the best way to do that is to do something harder than normal and so I scanned the cover of this LIFE magazine special featuring ELVIS at 450dpi and then digitally painted over all the text parts to make it look (hopefully) like the original unfettered picture of Elvis. There were some liberties taken with his shirt under where the ELVIS was written but I tried to get it as close as I could to what it looked like under the type. I didn't have a copy of the actual photo without all the text to see how accurate mine was, but I think I got it close. Some of the folds were hard to figure out how they went and it took some time to get it right, but I think this is one of my best digital repaints that I've ever done! Looking back I'm quite happy with the results. I remember it took me most of the night and it must have been around 4-5 hours total to get it as flawless as I could while keeping the pixel texture intact that was picked up in the scan.
*
If anyone else would like the original cover to try their hand at repainting over it, I'll load it up and post a link for any brave souls or Photoshop Jedi who want to give it a try.

No comments: