Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Did You Know There's A Seagate Lurking In Your Iomega?

Did you know that if you crack open an Iomega external hard drive you'll find a Seagate drive in it?

Now I have been using Iomega drives for years and they've worked great. I started out using Iomega drives 5 or 6 years ago when I stopped burning CD and DVDs with data on them and decided a hard drive would be better since some CDs and DVDs I had burned now had some bad sectors on them. I also use Western Digital drives mostly and recently got a bunch of Seagate ones as they were dirt cheap before Thanksgiving at Target. I still have my one original Iomega 500gb drive next to my main computer and it works fine with no issues...even after 6 years! It's been a warrior for me.

In November, I had gotten rid of three external drives that gone bad on me after many years (a 320gb, and two 500gb ones) so I took them out to the back picnic table and destroyed them with a drill and a hammer. I guess my main surprise was cracking open the exterior cases and finding a Seagate Barracuda drive in each drive! I can't see the marketing on this as to why would I buy an Iomega when I could just go buy a Seagate? I know all hard drives come out of the same place in Malaysia and each place slaps their own logos on the drives but for some reason I was surprised by it. I've not had any problems with the new Seagate drives thus far. You read reviews on Amazon for some external hard drives and people write a bad review when the drive works great for me. I have to wonder what the hell people are doing with the drives for them to go bad so fast.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this minor revelation.

No comments: