Friday, September 26, 2008

ADAM WEST as BATMAN! Pen and Ink Art!

Yes, I'm a big fan of the 1966's Batman series starring Adam West and Burt Ward! One of TV's greatest gems...especially the first season! Smartly-written for two audiences, great camera angles, set design and art direction. The movie that was made inbetween the first and second seasons was ok, and would be a five-star thing in my mind, if Julie Newmar was Catwoman instead of Lee Meriwether. She was a good fill-in, but Newmar owned the part. The George Barris designed Batmobile is still my favorite Batmobile as well.

Here's a pic of Batman ala Adam West that I did in the late 90's with a brush pen on 11 x 17 paper. I'm still quite happy with it and one of the reasons why is that the yellow oval around the bat on his chest was freehanded with a brush and came out perfect! At that time with my art I was trying to get everything perfect, which is insane really, and tried to do a lot of art with very little (if any) Pro White to fix any mistakes. It wasn't till I got into doing licensing art, which needed to be done faster and so I started thinking in terms of production and not doing fine original art. It's served me well over these years with Scooby so I'm glad I was able to get over trying to make things perfect since a true artist is never completely happy with everything they do.

1 comment:

Zen Tiger said...

Very cool work, I am loving all your stuff! fellow Batman fan