Monday, October 6, 2008

ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN - Ink Wash Painting!

Here is an ink wash painting I did of my interpretation of what the Abominable Snowman would look like. Did it with some Sable brushes on 11" x 11" sized 3-Ply Bristol Board. Needed to use the thicker paper to contain the ink and water as it did start to buckle a tad and the thinner paper I normally use would have fell apart on me. I've done many a snow monster or Yeti as a Scooby-Doo monster, but this design is my favorite simply because of the artistic nature of the piece. I really love how his hair came out considering there were no pencil lines or ink lines to map anything out as to where I wanted it to go. I just kind of eyeballed it and did it as I went, which is also strange to me that there are no errors on it. I've become so accustomed to doing work digitally or using Pro White to fix mistakes on my final artwork that this piece is a miracle of sorts for coming out perfectly in the end as a painting. I did use Pro White, but that was to add the snowflakes and wind streak effects of the storm. I also used a white colored pencil to add some highlights. I also notice that my snowman does kinda look like a long-lost relative of a Wookie the way his hair lays on the head, but I've always thought Chewbacca was designed after a Yorkshire Terrier's face, which seems like the true inspiration for this piece. It all goes back to Alfie...if my doggie was mutated!

No comments: