Sunday, October 12, 2008

MORGAN LE FAY - Conceptual Design Of 'The Enchantress' For A Sculpture/Figurine In The Late 90's

As her name indicates, the figure of Morgan appears to have been originally a fairy (Le Fey) rather than a human woman. Later transformed into a woman, and King Arthur's half sister, she became an enchantress to continue her powers.

This was my final version in full color of a sculpture/figurine of Morgan le Fay I did for The Mint in the late 90's. There were about 4 or 5 other pencil versions that I did of her with the cat around her as she was conjuring up some spell. I tried to make her sexier than the normal dress of the day since she had a sexuality to her that her character demanded. Because of the timeline to get it done in color I painted the final art with Magic Markers and highlighted some aspects with colored pencils. The original art was around 11" x 11" on tan-colored Canson art paper.

This image is a scan off of a color copy of my original art. The original was much more vibrant and popped off the page a lot more, but since this is a scan off of a 2nd generation copy of it, it has lost a lot. The Mint had a good color copier in it and everyone used the thing so much that when I went to make my copies at the end of the day of stuff I did, the copier needed a cartridge change or had some other issue with it, so some of my design art is what it is. They kept all the art and the only art I got out with when the place was going under was my original GUNSMOKE and Old West stuff I did since that was my favorite art I did there, though I wish I had snagged this on my way out. It's been 10 years since anyone has seen this art as it's been in my archives. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for digging this out - very nice too!